Do all hens go broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HennysMom, Dec 18, 2008.

1. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

Okay, so I've been reading alot about girls going broody...

my question is... do ALL hens go broody? What if there is no roo?

Y'all got me worried now - my girls will be 9 months next week and I'm constantly worried they're going to do this and reading just now someone else's post about trying to remove a broody hen from her nest and relocating it... ACK! [​IMG]

I dont want to have to do that... ever.

Do Red Stars go broody and if so.. (applying previous ?'s above) how often and when?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  2. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    No, not all hens go broody. And if you don't have a rooster, your hen might be broody, but not hatch anything. She'll just sit on infertile eggs. If you want chicks, you gotta have a roo. Or get hatching eggs from somebody else.

No, your red stars will probably not go broody. They're hybrids, and hybrids are almost never broody.

3. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

WHEW! [​IMG] Wasnt sure if the RS were a broody breed or not.

I dont want any chicks at all right now - rooster or no rooster (we do have other people that have chickens so we have to keep close tabs on ours). I just want eggs to eat - and we dont plan on eating our girls either, so... guess they'll just become pets after their done laying eggs for us. Before that happens, suppose we'll get more chickens so we can have more eggs....

4. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
  5. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    All hens CAN go broody, but not all WILL. I saw a thread recently about a broody Leghorn and they're supposed to be the least likely to go broody. A lot of the really good layers have had the broodiness selectively bred out of them - Leghorns, RIRs, Barred Rocks and the sex-links. You're probably safe, but stranger things have happened.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by