Do all hens go broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lunachick, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I never thought of this before, but do they ALL go broody? Or is it something that happens only to a select few hens when they want to be a momma?

Forgive me if this sounds stupid. I'd like to know what to expect when it happens to one or more of mine, if it does.

Also at about what age?

2. jessica117

jessica117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    SE Tennessee
    It all depends on your breeds. I know a lot of the more "commercial" egg layers like a leghorn has had the broody bred out of it. Then you have breeds like cochins and silkies that will sit on an empty nest and are almost impossible to break. My laying hens consist of some barred rocks, sex links, and a couple mutts and I have yet to have one go broody. I think if I didn't collect the eggs they probably would though.

You can start to expect broodiness anytime after they start laying. They'll get a good clutch in the nest and start sitting. My first cochin went broody after her first laying cycle.

Hope this helps!

Jess

3. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Thanks Jess! Yes that bit of info helps alot. I guess I will just collect everyday, which I do anyway, and make sure everyone is happy out in their yard and watch for any moody broodyness.

Again thank you.

4. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    I have a RIR hen who is broody and has been in chicken jail for 3 days and is not breaking her broodiness. She was also sitting on a empty nest when she turned broody. Can I break her? [​IMG]

5. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    chickypoo - I've been reading some on this subject, and I think if you want to break her you might want to gently grab her and hold her and walk around the yard or run for a few minutes each day, and hopefully it will break her and she'll want to be with the others.

6. karrie

karrie Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    Some of my mixed breeds go broody every few weeks! I put them in a cage with food & water for minimum 3 days, but it's sometimes as long as a week to break them. I thought it was cruel the 1st time I did it, but it's not. I let them out once a day with the others to run around a bit, then put them back in the cage. I guess there's no psychological harm!

7. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    Oh okay, I see. Thanks.[​IMG]

8. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    It is very dependant on the breed. I've never heard of a Cornish X living long enough to go broody.

9. Shrader

Shrader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think it's true that it depends on the breed.
    Last March, I got 5 Black Australorps and 4 Golden Buffs from Meyer.
    I didn't know anything about breeds at the time.
    I now know the "Golden Buffs" are a hybrid breed of Meyer's creation.
    So far this year, 4 of my 5 BAs have gone broody!
    While none of the Buffs have.
    I'm so new at this, though, I didn't even know about "breaking" the broodiness,
    so all 4 of mine are sitting on fertile eggs right now!
    I'll certainly try karrie's method if my 5th BA goes broody (which I have a feeling she will).

10. jessica117

jessica117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    SE Tennessee
    Quote:You are quite welcome! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by