Do all hens molt?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by joyous, Dec 12, 2010.

1. joyous

joyous Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    This is the first year I have had hens old enough to molt. Out of 5 adults, 3 obviously molted, but two of them had no sign of it. Of two BCM sisters, one molted and one did not seem to. I hope they are not waiting, because its going to be Negative degrees in Iowa!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

All BIRDS molt period. Its not a sex linked thing. And molts will vary from year to year and bird to bird. Some are heavier 'molters' than others.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  3. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Yes, - like Poulets says - they will all molt at some point. The others may have molted and you just didn't notice because it wasn't a heavy molt. Most of my girls all just went through a molt - some really really heavy - they looked like pin cushions they had so many pin feathers ! Keep in mind that their egg production will stop while they are molting and they could use a little extra protein to help them with new feather growth.

4. joyous

joyous Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    Thanks! I provided extra protein while the obvious girls were molting, but am back to normal now. Just hoping the others went through a light molt and I just didn't notice it , because its way too cold out now to molt now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by