Do all hens squat if they lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by morgannn, Oct 8, 2016.

1. morgannn

morgannn Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2016
    I have a hen that just started laying a few days ago. She has only laid two eggs so far. She is also the only bantam, so I know it is her that's laying. But she does not squat like most hens? I only have 3 other gals that haven't started laying yet, but my grandmothers chickens always do the rooster squat for a human if you hover a hand over them. I have read that they will start this behavior before laying, but the only indication I had was her building a nest in the nest box a few days before the first egg. Is this normal? Is it because she is so tame and doesn't feel the need to squat for me?
    Thanks!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    In my experiences most of my hens don't squat for me, only the ones that have been really tame, and even those haven't been all of them, just a few.

3. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

This is my first year owning a Bantam..She was my first to lay...Never squats either...Might be a Bantam thing? All my other layers squat...

Cheers!

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I have 4 actively laying hens. One squats if you as much as look at her funny, another one seldom and the other two never.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    My first year flock were squatters. Since adding a roo to my flock, they rarely, if ever squat for a human. My last broody would often squat. That tendency came in real handy when it was time to round her and babies up to go back in the coop. I'd get her to squat, scoop her up and deposit her in the run. Babies would run along behind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by