1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do all males get a drake feather?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fuzzy8, May 26, 2016.

1. fuzzy8

fuzzy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2016
    Escanaba, Mi
    I finally got my ducks and chickens in from a local feed mill. The chickens came sexed but the Ducks were only offered in straight run. Now my question is since I don't trust my self to vent sex them even though they are only 2 days old. What age will the get there drake feathers if I have any males? I have a kaki, pekin, Indian runner and a Rouen. Will they all get drake feathers if they are males? I wanna catch it quick enough so that if they are males I can sell them or give them away and end up ordering sexed femal ducks off of metzers. Which I probabaly should have in the first place

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Males will get drake feathers, yes... but they don't come in until their juvie feathers molt out... about 3 months old or so, I think...

Easiest and quicker way to sex them is by voice... at about 6-8 weeks old their voices will change... females will get the louder, sharper, quicker quack and males will go raspier and quieter... here's a link made by a BYCer who has a mix of breeds including ones like yours...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1073315/voice-sexing-your-mallard-derivative-duck

1 person likes this.
  3. fuzzy8

fuzzy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2016
    Escanaba, Mi
    Ok. Guess I just have to wait and see. If I need to buy new baby female ducks b4 winter comes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by