Do all roos tear up feathers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crazyhen, Aug 29, 2010.

1. crazyhen

crazyhen Crowing

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Do all the roosters tear up the back feathers and side feathers on the hens? I have about had it with roos. One was mean to me and good to the hens and one now keeps the backs of his hens bare but is good to me. I want my hens to look good and feel good. Is there any way to have that? Gloria Jean

2. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    This is a good question. If your hens are bleeding and in distress, separate them for a bit. The hens losing their feathers is a natural part of mating. Losing the feathers in excess would wave a red flag that you should intervene. What are your hens to roosters ratio? If there are too few hens they will suffer. Some roosters are clumsy, some take time getting the technique right.

Some people might say to introduce your mean rooster to the soup pot! [​IMG] Above all, don't allow him to rule you. That's not okay...you can get seriously hurt if he attacks.

3. crazyhen

crazyhen Crowing

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    this roo is not aggressive at all to me. He had 9 hens to mate. When I introduced 6 more he tried to litterally kill them. I had to remove him from the pen. He would pick them out one at a time and stay on them and continuously peck them till he drew blood and I seperated them.
    This roo is from a gentle strain and is pure orp. I hate so bad to get rid of him. He had quieted down until the introduction of the 6 new hens. Although the feathers on the backs and sides of his hens were in foul shape. He is hugh. Gloria Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: