Do all roosters crow....eventually?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wynette, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Man, I feel so silly for posting this question.

I have 13 chickens that I'm not at all sure of the genders. I've sent numerous pics to the breeder, and one of the ones she was sure was a pullet crowed yesterday. They are now 13-14 weeks old, and a cross of a Black Jersey Giant over New Hamp. Red hens. My biggest problem sexing them is that they ALL have fairly large, RED, single combs. They are just now starting to get curved tail feathers, so I guess I have to wait until they are all in, but I really need to get them gone ASAP.

I took one that was crowing to a friend for....eating (I can't do it myself) on Saturday. He'd been crowing for 2 weeks. The DAY after he left, another started crowing. Which is now making me wonder...will they all crow eventually? Why aren't they all crowing now? Does one sort of take the alpha roo role, and none of the others will crow until he's gone? Sounds like SUCH a silly question that I ought to know the answer to, but I don't, and can't find info. on it. Thanks for your feedback!

2. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Yes, the alpha roo will crow most. The others get in trouble for crowing when he is around. If you have lots of space, the others may sneak in some crows, but otherwise they risk getting pecked/chased/attacked for acting like roos when the boss is around. I have two roos about the same age as yours, the speckled sussex is the boss and crows all day, I only hear the BR once or twice a day. The BR hasn't had much practice, his crow is still pretty rough.

I think it depends on the alpha rooster though, I've had some in the past that were more tolerant.

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Yup, my Charli crowed until we took him out to the coop where there is a 1 yr old Frizzle roo. I haven't heard him crow since.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by