1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do all roosters crow?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by interlaaken, Oct 28, 2009.

1. interlaaken

interlaaken Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2009
    I adopted a rogue chicken that was hanging out in a friend's yard. It looks like the 2 standard barred that I have in my flock. It does not crow but it seems quite large and it's comb is bright red. It's comb seems a little large for a hen and small for a rooster. It does not crow but is exhibiting what seems to me to be mounting behavior. I am confused. My chickens are only just starting to lay eggs. The first one I got was quite large and might be from the new chicken. The others have been 2/3 the size of the first egg layed. ????? I know the black star layed one of the eggs and probably two of them. The other two eggs are pink and a pinkish/light brown.

Edited to add the following pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    All roosters crow. It may be younger than you think OR it may be sick. Though it doesnt sound like it since you said how red its comb is.

The is a surgery called de-crow, but i highly doubt thats the case.

But post pics if the comb may be smaller alot of breeds have hens with bigger combs.

3. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    We have several that do NOT crow.They are not sick..they are smart.Here all know who the King and his successors are and you don't mess with that or...[​IMG] They range in age from 6 months to over a year in the no crow category. Then we have 7 week old's that spend all day perfecting the art of sound...they can't see the Big Man of the place so they think they are all it.
    Does this chicken in question have saddle feathers? It should if it is anywhere near "laying" age if it were a pullet that is..I'm still waiting on my roosters to lay eggs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by