do all roosters fight each other

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 3Xgranny, Feb 6, 2014.

1. 3Xgranny

3Xgranny Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2013
    My oldest rooster jumped on my youngest. the oldest having spurs. know the youngest can only walk a few steps. he does seem to have a sore leg. will he get better, is there something else wrong, does he need antibiotics, he is isolated.

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Keep him separate for healing as chickens will pick on a weak member. It is normal for two roosters to bump chests and have what looks like a starring contest. That would be figuring out the pecking order. They usually get more aggressive if there are not enough hens per rooster ratio. They say that you need 10 hens per every rooster but with a well mannered flock I have had 7 hens with 2 roosters. Not all flocks have the same temperament so I suggest to either get more hens or get rid of one of the roosters. Chicken math...always a reason to get more!

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Big X2 as I can't agree more [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Your older rooster instinctively knows the young cockeral will be a threat to HIS hens and will kill him. I recommend that you get rid of the younger roo.

1 person likes this.
  5. 3Xgranny

3Xgranny Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2013
    thank you for your advise. we do have him separated. but he does not seem to be better. he only walks a few steps and back to laying on the ground. has anyone ever bathed a chicken his hinny looks messy. again thank you

6. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    They love baths! Bathe in warm water, hold in towel for 15 minutes to get as much moisture out as possible, then blow dry on low to get them completely dry. Is there anything broken or dislocated in his leg? If he is having trouble putting weight on his leg you can try a chicken sling. What you do is take something about the height of his legs when he is standing up and cover with a cloth. You want the cloth to be attached somehow (tied on to it) and cut holes in the cloth so that his legs can go threw. This allows him to try to stand without putting all of his weight on the hurt leg. Here are some pictures of what I am talking about and where I got them from:
    1) https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/147520/update-on-roo-with-broken-leg-pics-of-chicken-sling [​IMG]
    2) https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/609764/my-chicken-sling [​IMG] This one gives directions and pictures of the entire process.

7. Cowdoggin

Cowdoggin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2014
    Have bathed quite a few, both chicks and Adults.. Use Dawn Dish Soap Only!!! or stuff made to wash birds... and warm water, If the feather are too messy, you can cut some of the gunk off, but IF you live in cold weather country be careful not to take to much of and make sure he is dry before putting him back outside.. Birds also have a way of going down hill very quickly..He could just have a leg injury possibly a fracture someplace and need a few days to recoup, or have something more going on.. And a Weak Bird is a DEAD Bird..even the Hens could very well go after him..

And Yes you have to learn your flock, and know your Rooster/s and hens..whats tolerated and whats not.. Who the Bullies are and who the weaker members are.. AND Some Hens Will actually kill any roosters they dont like, so if the Rooster is Not more dominate than the hen/s.. he could be in big trouble.. This is were the term "Hen Pecked" came from.. But Yes it is typically the Roosters the do the fighting for dominance and this is normal..while they are disputing you just "try" to keep an eye on things in case it get out of hand..

I to have a very mild mannered flock and generally I can introduce a New Roo with little to no issues.. sometimes none at all, but sometime I have a Roo that just does not want anyone else around his flock of 15-20+ girls. Luckily my chicken pen used to be a small horse pasture, so the two roos can separate and hold their own territory..if need be..and the hens can decide who they want hang with for the day.. I also have a couple of smaller pens that I use as Rooster/chick/Duck/Breeding pens, so I can keep what I want..depending on the time of year it is.

1 person likes this.
  8. bluefrog87

bluefrog87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    You say young... He may be too young.

I would say the safe number of hens with 2 roosters is 24 hens. I like the 1 to 12 ratio better.

9. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    when I placed an ad on Cl for a rooster it was because one of my hens decided to go broody, I knew the roo wouldn't have time to fertilize eggs but thought I could catch her the next time, the lady who gave me the roo was a sweet lady who also donated 5 eggs for my broody hen.... 19 days later she hatched out all 5 chicks, several months later and three chicks less we were left with two roosters, one EE and one Silkie... The older roo did not like the silkie and twice got ahold of him and tore him up pretty good, we were able to find him a good home, the EE rooster he tolerates and even allows to cover a couple of the 8 hens we have...We kept the EE more because I have 10 pullets that will start laying next month and I wanted to make sure all the hens got there share of the lovin...
    Some roosters can co habituate ok, some cannot.

10. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

A Big X2
    I could not have said it better and "DAWN dish soap only"[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by