Do all roosters take longer to become fully feathered?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by maddogdodge, Nov 27, 2014.

1. maddogdodge

maddogdodge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2014
    Australia
    Do all rooster's take longer to become fully feathered? Or is it just particular breeds? I had an australorp earlier this year who took forever to get his feathers and obviously, he was a rooster. At the moment i've got some Barnevelder chicks and some X breed chicks... I'm just wondering if feather development would be a acurate way of guessing sexes at this stage?

Of course I'll be waiting until I'm absolutely 100% sure which ones are male before I make any decisions.

Thanks in advance for peoples thoughts [​IMG]

2. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    I had 2 australorp roos and 2 barred rock roos. Three of them feathered out quickly but I had one australorp roo that took forever. What feathers he did have stuck out everywhere from his fuzz. He didn't start looking good until he was about 6 months old but I really don't know if its a breed thing or not. His brother feathered out right along with the BRs.

3. maddogdodge

maddogdodge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2014
    Australia
    Interesting, thanks!

Looks like i'll just have to wait and see!

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I had a loner hatch who was 3 days late hatching and is now 10 weeks and still not fully feathered. I still don't know if it's a roo/hen...lol There are more votes for roo than hen, but it's not obviouse. 3 weeks ago I hatched 13 babies, (one died) and the 12 buggers in there now are 3/4 feathered, even the ones I am almost certain of being roos. I am guessing they will finish feathering before my 10 week old. I know they say some roos feather out slower, but I am wondering in my case if the delayed developement/hatch is partly the reason for the delay in feathering. Almost all 12 are feathering (and are barnyard mixes) at about the same rate (and I better have some hens in there!)

5. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Maybe he wasn't hatched on time,and he is a few feathers behind.

6. LanceTN

LanceTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    All of my Astralorp roos feathered slower then the pullets.

Don't have any other breeds to compare

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by