do all rumpless birds lay blue/green colored eggs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bald k9, Dec 13, 2009.

1. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    do all rumpless birds lay blue/green eggs or are the rumpless brown layers?

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I dont know what the correct answer will be but I can tell you that my rumpless girl lays peach colored eggs-almost light brown-not an ounce of blue/green to it!

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    easy answer is no. A bird could be born rumpless as just a fluke in the genetic gene pool that caused it to not have that last bone or 2.

Araucanas should be rumpless but they dont always hatch out rumpless. they carry the blue egg gene eaither way.

a rumpless bird can be bred with any bird and make more rumpless I did it with mine, but they would then be EE's or whatever the breed is (I say EE's because I am thinking of an Araucana which is what mine was) and could lay anywhere from blue to brown depending on the bird and the genes it picks up.

The pea comb is linked with the blue egg gene I believe though.

ETA I dont know if there are other rumpless breeds other that the Araucanas but there probably are since there are so many breeds. Maybe someone would know.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  4. We have a RIR that got her tail plucked out by a hawk and she still lays brown eggs!![​IMG]

Matthew

5. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    It is even fairly common for Marans to be born rumpless (or at least tailless). No blue eggs there!

6. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    manx rumpies can lay any color

7. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    Quote:uhhhhhh. haha no comment...

8. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    There are also some other rumpless breeds like the rumpless OEGB, rumpless d'anvers and d'uccles (I cant remeber the correct term for the rumpless breeds) but they lay brown eggs. Some rumpless birds can lay white eggs too.

9. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Belgian d'Everberg is the rumpless d'Uccle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by