do all show girls have black skin Paging dipsy doodle

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bock_Bock, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    i just picked up a couple chicks NN crosses from a fellow bycer who hatch eggs from dipsy doodle, so i was wondering if all show girls have black skin or can they have white skin too?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I think that showgirls are supposed to have black skin.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

naked necks have pick skin, showgirls have black skin. So if they are crossed, the chick could have either black or pink skin. I think [​IMG]

4. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Showgirls should have black skin. That is one thing that I believe all the breeders would agree with for standardization.

Black skin is caused by Fm, which is a dominant gene. In a 1st generation cross, if the silkie has two copies of Fm (fairly likely), all the offspring will recieve a copy and have dark skin. However, from their NakedNeck parent they will have received a copy of fm.

If the F1 offspring are crossed back to a silkie, chances are very low that any light skinned birds will occur--for that to happen, the silkie would have to be Fm fm rather than Fm Fm.

If those same F1 offspring are bred together, about 25% will end up fm fm, and have light skin.

As with all dominant genes, as the generations progress, an occasional mating between two birds with one copy each of fm will result in light skinned birds.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    You have showgirls--they just need to be bred to silkies to bring back dark skin and improve silkie traits.

7. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    ok thanks so much for answering now all that is left is telling the sex of them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by