1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do ALL silkie roos look like this?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rosyposyosy, Jul 24, 2007.

1. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    [​IMG]

2. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    I have no idea. But just wanted to say that the roo the has gorgeous coloring.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Not all. Mine is black and I've had buffs and whites before. As for crests, some are large some are small. They come in a variety!

4. Julie in Al

Julie in Al Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Dothan, Al
    Here is a picture of one of my black and Splash cockerals standing together. You can see the difference in the top plumage[​IMG]

5. Julie in Al

Julie in Al Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Dothan, Al
    Here is my blue Roo and one of my Whites[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    Here's a close up of Sparky.........

[​IMG]

7. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Wow, great looking roos there. Is sparky a frizzle? his feathers seem sort of wavy?? and what a comb he has. All of mine are young but I can't wait til they have matured to I can see what theirs look like.

Marie

8. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Hi Rosy,
    it looks like your beautiful red roo is non-bearded, right? Silkies come both bearded and non-bearded. Anyway the non-bearded generally have somewhat smaller crests than the bearded ones. The comb is normal too. Some have small combs and some are larger. For show purposes, the smaller is better. I just love the color of your boy. That is the color I want! Lucky you! I have been looking for a long time for a girl that color.... no luck so far.

Lisa:)

9. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    Quote:Sparky is not a frizzle. He does have long, flowing hair-like feathers that do have sort of a wave to them. He really is gorgeous (I may be just a wee bit partial, I admit). Is his comb a walnut comb? Rosy is the first person who's roo has had a comb similar (that I've seen). More often than not, they look more like Julie's. Anybody know if (Julie's) are the standard?

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

[​IMG]

This is what my pet quality silkie looks like. I want to say he is two months old? Don't really remember :p The little one behind him is 3 weeks younger, and the one in the milk jug is one month younger and a bad crossbeak.

Edit: If you got your bird from a hatchery, you will most likely not get anything close to the big poofy show or breeder quality birds you see people have.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by