do all silkies have feathered feet?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LindsayB, Jun 7, 2010.

1. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I have been dying to get one or two silkies but I'm not very fond of the feather-footed chickens. It just seems like a poo magnet. Do they all have feathered feet?

2. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Yes. That is an integral part of the Silkie must have.

I don't find them having any more problems with collecting stuff in their foot feathers then my non feather footed birds. If its wet and sticky no matter what breed steps in to it its going to stick.

3. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    my silkie does have feathered feet but she is definitely not show quality so you hardly even notice the feathers on her feet are their and mud and poo never gets stuck to them so i would think hatchery silkies are fine but maybe the fancy ones get dirty [​IMG]

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

yes they do, but I have seen hatchery silkies with very little feathering.

5. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I might have to look into getting some from a hatchery then. I don't plan on going to any shows any time, I would just like some for pets/eggs. Thanks!

6. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

A silkie SHOULD have feathered feet, it's part of the breed description. If you do get hatchery stock or birds elsewhere that exhibit very little foot feathering and plan to sell the eggs/chicks, please be honest and let potential buyers know that the breeding is stock is highly lacking in this characteristic aka requirement.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by