Do All Survivor Birds Become Carriers for Life?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OldCrookedToe, Sep 26, 2016.

1. OldCrookedToe

OldCrookedToe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    Our rooster was sick a few months ago, probably from the heat since it was around 100 degreees. He had swollen eyes, was lethargic, and was breathing loudly. He didn't cough or sneeze and there was no sinus leakage. I treated with antibiotics and gave vitamin water and he came back around very quickly. He's now healthy and about 1 1/2 years old. When he was sick there were no hens - only male ducks. Now we have hens and I'm concerned because I've recently heard that any bird who gets sick and survives will then be a carrier for that disease until they die. His hens are all very healthy and are all 6 months old. He has been mating them and produce fertilized eggs.
    I don't know what he had, but it was respiratory. Will any other chickens he lives with become sick, too? And what if we sold birds, would they be carriers/sick?
    Thanks!

2. OldCrookedToe

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    Also, I have no idea if it was disease. If it was not a disease, just a bug, would he still be a carrier?
    ETA: Just remembered, when he got sick we all believed it had something to do with his coop. His run's bedding was soggy for weeks because the rain wouldn't end. He was NOT free ranged at that time. I began antibiotics and moved him out of the coop and he immediately healed. When I inspected his coop there was no mold, but I still think it had something to do with it. He was separated at that time because my neighbors rooster kept coming in my yard trying to kill him and he had almost no feathers left.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  3. OldCrookedToe

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    Never mind I found out the answer. He had no disease, he had a bacterial infection brought on by ammonia gasses released from wet bedding and droppings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by