Do all ur roos crow??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CochinLover, Dec 21, 2008.

1. CochinLover

CochinLover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Oxnard,CA
    Ok ok i know i shouldnt get any roos, but i cant help it i love roos. I live in town so i shouldnt, i only have hens. But i really want some. Im just curious do u guys have any roos that dont crow. Specifically cochin roos? You can humor me its ok.[​IMG]:fl

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    LOL!!!! All roosters crow, seems the smaller they are the more they crow. My cochins crow all day and night. I wish there was a way to have them decrowed but im sure there isn't.

3. kmom246

kmom246 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2008
    Nevada
    And they don't just crow at day break! They crow whenever the mood strikes them. I am up at 3 a.m. to get ready for work and I hear my alpha crowing. My beta crow just likes to hear himself talk, I think (Like me!) and just crows all day long. My two other roos don't crow as often, but they do. I think they are trying not to call attention to themselves as the alpha will go over and chase them around if they start acting too big for their britches. But I hear them throughout the day and night, too - just not as often.

4. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    If you can't have a rooster, you are outta luck. They will crow.

5. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    If they ever breed a roo that doesn't crow or turn aggressive I can guarantee that person will make a fortune LOL! I love the deep booming crow of the barred rock, but there is something that is really comical about the squeeky crow of a bantam! It is funny to see these little guys trying to out crow a large standard roo!

6. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I was thinking about asking the same thing. I have a Frizzle that I THINK is a rooster, as it looked to me that he/she was trying to mate with one of my other hens, but I haven't heard a sound out of him/her.

I have seen other roosters mating with hens so I think I know what to look for. He/she had the hen by the back of her neck to hold her still and he/she was on top of her.

However, the Frizzle is only about 5 months old, so that could be a factor.

I thought the crowing comes before the mating. Anyone else had an experience like this? Thanks! Genie

7. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

My hubby and I were just saying how loud our cochin roo is! Even with the windows all closed up, you can still hear him with the tv on! Luckily we love to hear the crowing!
    Our other roo, crows just as much, but isn't nearly as loud, but can still be heard at the end of our driveway! (Our drive way is about 1/4 of a mile long!)

Edited: I just wanted to add how much I LOVE my cochin roo! He is a big luvbug and has NEVER tried to come after us. My other roo is in rooster boot camp for a being a meanie!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  8. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    I am getting a chicken today a rooster actually

I am so scared of him crowing a ton.. my neighbors will hate me.

He may not last long..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by