1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do all your chickens have names?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jenichick, Sep 7, 2007.

1. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    For those of you that have more than a hadful of chicks, do you name all of the flock?

Out of my 22 only about 10 or so have names. The reason is the the white rocks look a lot alike, the barnvelders and black sex links look a lot a like. So I have 4 white rocks two black sex link and 2 barnvelders, two buff cochins, and 1 white langshan without names.

Just curious.....

2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    No...only a select few. I named the Silkies to keep breeding records and names seem easier then numbers. The I have Whisper(an EE) Star (black star...real original I know) Hiro (Silkie/Phoenix X) and Tom (a Turken). I tried to name them at first...but I kept forgetting what I named them. [​IMG]

3. Varisha

Varisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2007
    only a handfull of my 24 have names. Those that seem to have a lot of personality and will never be in my stew pot. (however, ones that are for the stew pot do get named "Stew")

Big Red --> Buff orp roo that at one time had the reddest comb of the group.

Little Red Hen --> I think a RIR hen that I put a leg band on because we had one that kept roosting on some pipes outside of the coup instead of in the coup.

Chibi --> California White hen with distinctive spots that was very tame as a chick but who has had a change of heart

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, every one of mine has a name. I'd rather say, "Lorelei has a problem" than "the Silver Laced Wyandotte with all the white on her chest has a problem". It's easier, right? I had 29, but sold 3, every one with a name.

5. homecatmom

homecatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, mine are named. Lucy, Eleanor Roosevelt, Oprah, and lastly Tina Turner. Having only four naming was easy. Soon I may be getting some hens from a friend that can't keep them. If they come named they will keep their names, if not named they will be.[​IMG]

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh HECK no......I have 37 hens, 10 roos. There is no way I can name them all...and the buffs all look too alike. There are a few that have names...
    Royal Palm Turkeys = Adam and Eve.

Black Langshans Roo = Ebony, Hen = spice

White Langshans Roo = Ivory, Hen = Sugar

Banty Cochin Frizzles 2 roos, Biggun and Rusty, 4 hens Angel, Momma, Nancy and one not named.( she is smooth feathers, black trying to come up with something special still)

Pheonix Roo = King, Hen = Princess

Buff Orp Roos, Gin, Scotch.

RIR/mix roos = Ruby, Mr C, and Burbon Red.
    And one little white Leghorn....Pancake.
    Oh, and Lucky....the last surviving duck.

7. 6chix

6chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2007
    Western Ma
    Yup they do

whitey white leggern
    Blackie Black austrolorp
    sunny Buff Orp
    Chicka redx link
    sandy redx link
    brownie NH red
    screech NH red

Ray the rooster of unknown linage

RIP droopy white leggern all I found were some feathers:(

8. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I have like 70... Only the one roo and one hen have names. The rooster is buddy, and my DH's hen is named, believe it or not, Henny. He is so creative! [​IMG]

9. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Yes, they all have names except for the young white cochin pullets - still working on theirs.

Buff Orpingtons - Butters, Butterball, Buffy, Lola, and Oldie
    Ameraucana - Pirate, Gabby, Angel, Lady Hawk 1 & 2
    Barred Rocks - Mr. & Mrs. Speckles (Mr. is a pullet, but looks like a male to me)
    Austrolorps - Diablo 1, 2, 3 (can't tell them apart)
    White Cochin Roo - Big Sid [​IMG]

10. Itsme

Itsme Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    NW Wisconsin
    Mine are all named except for 5 RIR pullets. They will get named eventually but have done nothing yet to sepearate themselves as individuals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by