Do American Blues "auto sex" at hatch??

Discussion in 'Geese' started by kimberly35042, Feb 16, 2012.

1. kimberly35042

kimberly35042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2009
    Central Alabama
    So I was looking at last year's pics of my frantic HWF bargain assortment as company for my sebbie that hatched by herself and noticed how different the female/male blue goslings looked.

You know how female WHITE sebs are born usually much darker than males? Well, when these goslings arrived, one blue was so much larger and lighter that I didn’t even realize they were the same breed. They did not write what was included on the box.

So now I’m wondering/thinking if American blue females are always so much darker than American blue males??

Can you see the difference in the photo of the darker goslings (not Henri the saddleback sebbie who is at the front). The male blue is 2nd from the front and female is the darker gosling toward the water bottle.

Anybody raise the blues and can tell me if the females are normally so much darker than males at hatch?

[​IMG]

2. kimberly35042

Oct 23, 2009
    Central Alabama
    Pete??? Oregon Blues??? Anybody??? Inquiring minds wanna know [​IMG]

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I don't know. Maybe you could send an email to Holderread and ask. I suspect that they just come in different shades.

I've got 2 adult blue ganders and one is darker than the other. One of my hatchlings last year was sky blue, but I don't know what gender. I ate it without sexing it. I've seen photos of adults that are really blue, and some are much more gray.

4. kimberly35042

Oct 23, 2009
    Central Alabama
    I dunno...they turned out very similar in color. But at hatch, there was a dramatic difference. Goose is in front.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by