Do Animal Shelters update their websites?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Willow's Meadow, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    So I was looking at a couple Animal Shelter websites. Some of the animals went up for adoption in March! And they are still up for adoption. Do you think they are REALLY still up for adoption and have been their all this time or has the websites not been updated? I might be getting a rabbit and was looking at some rabbits on different animal shelters. But most of the rabbits have been adoptable for 2-3 months now. I didn't know if they are still adoptable or gone. 2-3 months seems like a long time.......but I don't have much experience adopting animals(because we usually buy our dogs/other animals from breeders) so I don't know.

2. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    It depends on where you are. Most shelters in larger cities keep their websites up to date as much as possible. That being said, I think rabbits (and anything other than a dog or cat) sit longer in shelters because there are fewer of them usually and most people who go to shelters are looking for a dog or cat. So, small animals tend to get passed over. It's very possible that those same animals are still available. You could always call them and ask how often their site is updated.

3. Rin

Rin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    Quote:I'd also call and ask if they have any rabbits for adoption then drum off the name of the rabbit(s) you are specifically interested in if they say yes. I learned never to rely on adoption websites when the one I went to had absolutely NONE of the dogs available listed on their website EXCEPT for two husky sisters that they pointed out they were absolutely not re homing separately(and they wonder why those two still spend their days living in a cage...).

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Depends on the site. Just like everything in life they range from the good to the bad to the indifferent. Good animal rescues are to be treasured. Sadly some of the largest are more big business and least humane. We have a small private group in our area that does a great job.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Willow's Meadow :

So I was looking at a couple Animal Shelter websites. Some of the animals went up for adoption in March! And they are still up for adoption. Do you think they are REALLY still up for adoption and have been their all this time or has the websites not been updated?

Totally depends. Around here, it would be real surprising if a rabbit WERE adopted within 2-3 months... as long as they have space for them, the shelters around here will keep them; and it is not like THAT many new rabbits are being surrendered to require euthanasia of the ones that've been there longer.

Actually of the last 3 cats I've adopted (over the last 5 years or so) I don't believe any of them were at the shelter for LESS THAN five months. (Mind you I am not adopting from the highest-kill shelters in this area).

So, call and see.

Good luck, have fun, happy rabbit-adopting [​IMG],

Pat, currently working on finding a dog to adopt [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by