Do any cultures eat chicken crop?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by moodusnewchick, Jul 21, 2008.

1. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    Ok, I'm sure this seems stupid and gross to most of you. Bear with me, I just got back from China. One of the comments that was repeated was "we don't waste anything from the meat." So, I got to thinking when processing my meaties yesterday, could a human/other animal eat the crop? I did some internet searching before posting here...nothing much came up except some scientific article about toxins that i have to pay to read fully. So, my BYCers, any thoughts? By the way, I'm not interested for myself, but if it's not bacteria-laden, i would cook it up for dog food.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  2. Rooster Bob

Rooster Bob Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2010
    Supply,nc
    Are you refering to the gizzard? if so yes love them.
    Dennis

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Crop, as in that sac which holds food upstram of the gizzard? Not that I know of.

But the liver, heart, reproductive organs, gizzard, and feet are all fair game.

As for not wasting anything, compared to the usual american supermarket bird where the carcass is tossed, the carcass is used. The stereotype of Americans eating only breast meat or just the legs runs pretty strong in Asia.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by