Do any of these Look like Russian Orloffs to you?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MrsDeb, Aug 24, 2010.

1. MrsDeb

MrsDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

A little history. I bought dark cornish and Russian Orloffs and they were all in
    the same box.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    Don't have an answer for you, but that lightest one is soooooo cute! [​IMG]

3. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Are all the pics of the same chicks? The front right chick in the 1st pic and far left on the 4th pic looks like a Dark Cornish.

4. MrsDeb

Thank you for the replies!

Yep those are all of the same chicks...The first photo the one in the middle is also the one in the single photo and it's also the same bird from the top shot, but its on the left
    in that photo. Bottom photo its on the right hand side......

I know the one dark one is a dark cornish, it looks like it's other brothers and sisters.....

We had 5 Dark Cornish and 9 Russian Orloffs ordered, we had all 8 figured out but #9 has me stumped.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  5. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    The chick by itself in the one picture could be, but I doubt it. I don't even see any muffs/beard on the little thing.

There is a picture of a Russian Orloff pullet chick on my website if you wanna look.

6. MrsDeb

Yea, little Avery looks a lot like my lone chick did when it was younger, but your right, this one doesnt have
    the tufts......

I'm still in awe that they'd combine breeds like this....ARGH! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:Why are you in awe that they combine breeds in a box? If you request it, they'll mark the breeds and are more than happy to help you figure out what's what if you contact the hatchery. [​IMG]

Your orloff chicks are the lighter ones. The one to the left and the one in the back on the first pic. Second pic, it's the left and middle chick. Third pic, yes. Forth pic, middle and right.

Hatchery orloffs aren't very consistant in looks as far as muffs go, but you can tell by the neck fluff and color. If you intend to breed them to standard, I'd suggest working on bringing back the muffs, beard, & lowering the tail angle as those are most often the attributes that are the poorest. Coloring comes after you get the canvas set. [​IMG]

8. MrsDeb

I was told by the hatchery that the breeds would be separated when I originally phoned them. I ordered Silver laced Polish, Slow White Cornish, Dark Cornish and White Red laced Cornish and the
    Orloffs for a friend who wanted them. They could have combined them with something that didn't look so similar hence "my in awe". Oh they were marked all right, Dark Cornish and Russian Orloffs were in the same side! [​IMG]

The Orloffs were ordered for a friend, so I'm not sure what we'll do. I guess just wait and see. They are only suspecting one of the ones they took home is not an Orloff, so that
    means one of the ones I have here is an Orloff. If you think I have two orloffs in those photos then that means I'm missing another cornish somewhere along the way..... [​IMG]

One thing I did notice, is the two that are similar in the second photo from the top, they both have shorter wings than the guy we suspect is an Orloff.....

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

The redder one of the 3 with the thinner legs is the RO. In the pick with them having their backs towards us, it is the one on the left. It is the one that you also have in a pick by itself, the other 2 are Cornish - note the thicker legs. beards and muffs often develop better later in the hatchery RO's. I enjoyed them.

10. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    I have Bantam orloff's so they would be a bit smaller but I'll attach a few pics for comparison for you. Might just be the lighting but their legs don't look quite yellow to me. I might be seeing a walnut comb, hard to see in your pics, do they have a walnut comb? Also, all of the chicks I've hatched have all had the muffs at hatch. Mine are not hatchery stock though so I can't speak on that side of things.

What hatchery did you get them from? They are adorable either way though. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here is a pic of some adults.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by