Do any of you hatch-a-holics sell your chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lil'ChickFarm, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    I am just wondering if there is a good market to incubate chicks and sell them. It would help pay for food, lol.
    I see tons of people hatching all the time over here and can't imagine you are keeping them all yourself.
    I was devastated yesterday with my silkies being shrink wrapped.
    I am going to try again though. This time with EE's. I think I know what went wrong. I tossed seven perfectly formed shrink wrapped chicks. My humidity dropped in lock down. I put a sponge in after that and it stayed up, but for two days it fluctuated too much. I am sure that was the killer. I want to get this right. I HAVE to get it right.[​IMG]
    Today i bought silkie chicks and I can't wait to get my hot little hands on their cute little fluffy bodies.[​IMG]
    They are shipping next week. Getting my brooder set up for them.
    My older five are out side now in a nice little baby chicken tractor that my hubby and I worked on together. Well mostly him. They are loving the grass and the bugs and sleeping in a hut, camped out together. They jump at each other and play during the day. I am enjoying them so much.
    I can see that this would become very addicting.
    CA anyone? *chicken's anonymous:barnie*

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I do sell chicks and ready to lay pullets. When I have birds to sell, we have several swaps meets in our area so I take the birds to the swaps to sell them. Also a neighborhood feed store sends me customers that want to buy chicks or layers. Mostly I sell the eggs. I have been hatching for myself and a friend mostly. I used to keep my birds for years even after they didn't lay well but I don't do that any more. I sell them when they are pullets or young hens so that my stock always produces good. I have been selling my eggs for years and have many regular customers. One problem with selling chicks is that it is hard to tell the cockerels from the pullets for the first few weeks. Some people aren't allowed Roos where they live.

I assume you are using a styrofoam incubator. I put a half pint mason jar with water and a sponge in addition to filling the reservoirs in the bottom when I set my eggs for hatching.
    [​IMG]

3. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    thanks for the advice on the mason jar. Do you use it the whole time or only at lockdown?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by