Do Any Of You Have Hens Who Are Act Fond Of Their Roosters?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by deb1, Sep 3, 2009.

1. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    I have a goldenlaced Wyandotte rooster who was born in the spring. We also have three Buff Orpington hens who are over a year.

The smallest hen follows our rooster, Hagrid everywhere he goes. When he goes into the coop, she sits by him on the roost. If he climbs on our porch railing to crow, she waits on the porch for him.

I knew that roosters had favorite hens. I didn't know that hens could get attached to the rooster though.

It is actually very sweet. Hagrid must make her little chicken heart go pitter patter. LOL [​IMG]

2. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

My rooster and my hen Alma have been buddy buddy for quite some time. She's the first to start laying so he's mating with her now. My smallest hen Freda cleans the food off of the roosters face. He just stands there nice and still and lets her. It's very sweet. [​IMG]

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Heck ya! The Sisters worship Blue, and when she isn't mad at him Lissa loves Popadoodlestupid!

4. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Quote:I love that second Rooster's name! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  5. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    Zinnia is so attached to Dubloon that she gets hysterical if she can't see him. The whole mating thing gets on her nerves, though. She's pretty dominant, so he has to be patient.

6. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Quote:I love that second Rooster's name! [​IMG]

Well,, his name is actually Popcorn, Popadoodlestupid fits him better!

7. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    One of our lower rank hens took a fancy to the non-boss roo. I thought it would be trouble for the roo, but the two are largely left to themselves. She follwed him everywhere til he took the hint.

8. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I have a pair of Cuckoo Marans that will not leave each other's side. The hen goes crazy if the roo manages to get away from her. I did buy them together when they were day olds, then thinking they were both going to be pullets, but it turns out they ended up being chicken lovers!

It's kind of adorable. François and Amélie [​IMG]

9. tigerlilly2588

tigerlilly2588 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2009
    murfreesboro
    I have a pair of Light Brahmas about three months old...and I have never seen two little chickens soooo attached to eachother! I have 14 other chicks of similar age and size in with them, and all the others are like "everyone for themselves!." But these two are so concerned for eachother and get REALLY upset if for any reason they get separated. Its really cute actually. As long as they are together, Mr. Fluffy and Mrs.Muffy don't seem to care whats going on:)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My Lil'Bit used to follow my rooster everywhere. She'd start preening his feathers the minute he stood still and do it all day long.
    She recently decided to become a yard chicken and my roo is too big to get in the yard thru the holes in the fence gate.
    I think they are having a lovers spat. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by