Do any of you plant specifically for your chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by stone_family3, Jan 30, 2013.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I was thinking of planting some peppers for my chickens, we don't really eat peppers, but the chickens love them.

2. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    I don't plant "extras" for my chickens but still seem to have lots...however, I don't usually give my chickens peppers (or onions for that matter) as I worry that the strong flavors might taint the eggs.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Clover is overseeded in grass of yard. Turnips are planted in fall to provide forage during winter and as ground cover to prevent erosion. Brambles also valued for berries is planted in patches to provide cover from wind and hawks. Osage orange trees are planted in row to eventually provide roost sites. Bamboo is planted in row to provide wind break and keep trailer smoke from blowing through at ground level.

4. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    We've never had that problem yet.

5. countrygirl74

countrygirl74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    Northern Arizona
    I was considering bamboo and then had others tell me NO WAY - it will take over. I only have a 1/2 acre total property. Would it be a bad idea to do bamboo? What is your experience? Do you feed them the bamboo leaves?

6. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have some acreage to play with and bamboo plot will be in total about 1/4 acre of solid bamboo. I will contain it using bushhog as already done to control fescue. My brother has several stands repressenting different species and all can be confined by mowing roughly twice a year. You must watch for shoots coming up several feet from main clump. If it comes up in area not easy to mow then spreading becomes more problematic. Additionally some of my bamboo is native and it is more manageable even by using livestock to graze it.

7. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Before you plant bamboo, read around the internet about the substantial problems associated with containing it. The type that produces shoots underground can require major effort to contain or worse, if you try to eliminate it. It is possibly more of a problem than kudzu.

We have a type of bamboo commonly called Nandina, but the chickens won't eat it. It doesn't spread to amount to anything.

Chris

8. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    IN some localities, some types of bamboo do not spread easily, at least not over a 40 year span I have watched. Best to discuss with local producers of stuff to get handle for local expectations.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by