1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do any of your chickens mistake your lower lip for a big fat worm?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Renee, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    So today I was out in the run, sitting on my chair with Audrey the Silver Campine on my lap. She's a bit flighty, but once she decides it's safe, she cuddles up.
    She looked up at me adoringly as I scritched her ears and wattles, closed her eyes halfway with a look of pure chicken ecstacy, and bit my lower lip.

2. tunaoftheland

tunaoftheland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    That's so funny! Your poor lip, but a great picture [​IMG]

3. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    I had something similar happen to me last wkend w/ one of my Delawares. I was petting her while she was in my lap & my teeth must have looked intriguing because she pecked at my top front teeth. She kinda missed my teeth, but got my gums! OUCH! [​IMG]

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I've had one mistake my eye for a grape.

5. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Quote:Oh my gosh, my injury sounds so miniscule compared to yours now! I hope your eye healed up okay. I guess I was smiling when my Delaware pecked at me, man that hurt - took a chunk out of my gums. Not a big chunk, but enough to hurt like crazy. Love your avatar by the way!! [​IMG]

6. MrGreenJeans

MrGreenJeans Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    COS
    Heaven forbid I go hang out with the girls with a couple day old beard stubble. Perched on my shoulder they can still get at it no matter which way I turn my head...

7. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Quote:Oh, Red, jeez i forgot about your "pirate phase" with the eyepatch!

8. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    A softball to the mouth is just as fun. BUT, did you look like Angelina Jolie for a few hours??

9. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Mine get my teeth sometimes, mostly when they have some kinda nasty crusted on their beaks. They've tried for my eye before. I'm glad I didn't join your pirate crew Rooster-Red.

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Oh my red cochin has bloodied my lip. I was wearing this lip moisturizer stuff...clear but I guess shiny. I bent over to pet her and she jumped up and grabbed by bottom lip. OUCH! Husband teased me for several days about being "chicken kissed".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by