Do any of your neighbors...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kees, Feb 25, 2009.

1. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    think that it's unusual for you to have chickens? People used to drive back and stop their cars EVERY day to look at my Silkies. I even saw some near accidents occur! Seriously, people would get out of their cars and ask, "What are they? Are they cats? Are they dogs?" When they found out that the Silkies were chickens, most would ask, "Can you take a picture of me holding one?" In addition, I found out that many of my neighbors would actually wave at the chickens every time that they saw them!

Suzy [​IMG]

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    we live in 'the country' and people are still amazed at our chickens/ducks/turkeys etc.

we think it's funny how they slow down to look, especially at crazy turkeys and meat chickens.

3. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Yeah, we took a chicken to Petco the other day, partly just for my daughter's amusement. You would have thought she - the chicken, that is, a Buff Orp - came from Saturn! "Can I touch her?" and "Will she bite?" I swear!

Uh, no. She won't.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  4. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Quote:That's funny.....I might go just to see peoples reactions!!! Haha!!

5. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Quote:Nope, she'll peck. [​IMG]

6. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    That's hilarious! I live in the middle of nowhere and there's a bunch of trees surrounding my coops, so no one but my family sees the birds.

I'm sure people would freak though. I take my birds to the state fair every year and put on a "meet your feathered friends up close and personal" display. I get a lot of odd comments... one person asked if it was a bat. ??? They don't look even remotely battish.

7. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I'm not the first in the nieghborhood to have chickens! However, I am the first to have silkies and everyone always stops by to see them in the front yard. I'm not going to be the last to have chickens either, as another one of my neighbors has asked to buy some as soon I have a full batch where they can get 4-5.

However, I've had to warn everyone about their dogs! They are out all over the place, and people who let their's roam the neighborhood even want chickens... so its about time we had.... the TALK! [​IMG]

8. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Quote:Do people even know what any animal is anymore?? I don't understand it.

9. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:Do people even know what any animal is anymore?? I don't understand it.

Hah, yeah. I looked at him blankly... and told him it was a Norwegian Feathered Bat. But credit to him, I WAS standing right next to the bat display.

10. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Quote:A bat? Whoa...that beats a cat or a dog!

Suzy [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by