Do any other 'meat' birds grow quickly?

4H kids and mom

Cooped Up
12 Years
Mar 10, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
DH wants to try and raise up something different this time around. I know turkeys take awhile (at least the fancier ones) but I'm wondering if there are any other birds that can be raised for meat that don't take months to grow.

Birds we've considered so far are: guineas, quail, chukar, pheasant, and turkey. Do they all grow slowly? Or, are there some other birds bred for meat that plump out quick? What about the broad breasted white turkeys? I know they are intended for meat, but do they grow quick or slow?

My last batch of Cornish go in for processing on the 10th of July. They'll be nice big 11 week olds this time around. I'm looking to start all over again as soon as they are gone. I'm looking for birds that would finish out before fall (maybe 12-16 weeks at most?) because I will be raising more Cornish X in the late fall/early winter. Any advice is helpful! Thanks!
big_smile.png

I don't know about the smaller birds. Wouldn't quail and the others be small when you get them processed?
But the broad-breasted white turkeys should be ready to process in about 4 months. They would be like the Cornish X. They grow fast and get big. Toms about 20#, hens about 16#.

Back
Top Bottom