Do anyone have a pic of a 6 week old Lav Orp

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by suzeqf, May 17, 2011.

1. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    I have two and I think they are both roo's if anyone has a pic of a 6 week old roo and hen I would greatly appreciate seeing it. My camera is acting weird and all the pics i take come out very blurry.

Thanks

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    The way I can generally tell, but not always, is that the pullets tend to get a substantial tail early, whereas the boys get wings and no tail for some time.

3. suzeqf

Mar 17, 2011
    the bigger of the two has very nice tail and the smaller ones has a much shorter tail but both have reddish combs but no waddles as of yet

4. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    From my personal experience of raising lavender orps, you really never can tell until they leg and egg or crow. (never assume anything!) I have had some pullets look pink at a very young age making me think they were cockerels but turned out to be pullets. I have had cockerels have combs stay light colored till they were ready to crow at 7 months old. Some cockerel don't even get saddle feathers till they are way older, just a bird to bird case I guess. I think with them still being a project there is no definite to telling who is who at a young age. Again just my personal experiences. [​IMG]

5. suzeqf

Mar 17, 2011
    thanks either way they are very beautiful birds and if they turn out to be boys i'll just have to get them a few girls

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by