Do Appearances Change After A Moult?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BayBay Peepers, Aug 19, 2014.

1. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    One of my Buff Orp's used to be slightly more solid colored than not until a recent moult...or molt? Whichever. Now she's almost speckled. I wish I could have showed you the before picture and I suppose I could add the after picture later.

Is this common or am I crazy? I would have thought she'd look the same just with fresh feathers.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It can happen. Some of my Black Penedesenca hens that were pure black as pullets had white mottling after their molt.

3. SavageDestiny

SavageDestiny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    Bend, OR
    I know in Mottled Javas, every molt causes the chickens to have more white mottling on them. So I would imagine that can happen with other breeds as well.

4. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Fantastic! Now thinking about it more my duck used to be more solid gray and now has speckled white. It all makes sense now. Thank you [​IMG]

5. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    White is simply an absence of color IMO.

6. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Ok, I'll reword. The duck and hen both had lots of color, now they have areas with an absence of color.

7. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I didn't mean any offense by my previous statement. I just made the comment because I've been trying to learn color genetics and just recently realized that in poultry feather genetics, white is not a color.

8. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I didn't mean it to sound like I took offense. My horrible attempt at being funny. I should have added a haha or an lol, but I didn't think it would fit. It's all good [​IMG] and besides, I'm the one asking you for help.

9. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I wasn't sure. Some people come here asking for help and then get offended if the answer isn't something they want to hear. It was funny now that I reread.

I joke a lot without using smileys. I just can't get used to it.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I am no expert on feathering, but after reading a few threads about certain show breeds, most say that you really won't realize the full beauty of feathers and coloring until after the first molt. This is especially true with roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by