1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do Auracana's Ever Lay a Brown Egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mtnhomechick, Jul 27, 2008.

1. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    My Auracana spends time in the box.......I am getting an extra egg these days but it it brown. Wish I could actually SEE them laying. Could the new brown egg possibly be my Auracana?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you didn't get the bird from a breeder, it's an EE and they really to lay rainbow colored eggs so it's possible.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    It is possible if your EE is laying brown eggs....not that unusal for them to do so. Particularly if you get yours from a hatchery, they would lay any color of eggs, not always the sky blue we wanted but any shade of blueish green to olive green colors.

If you bought some REAL Araucanas, then they should have laid blue eggs.....they would have tuffs, but no beards on them and no tail uprights. Sounds like to me you may have just an EE.

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Do you have true araucanas or easter eggers?

If it is an easter egger, which I am going to assume it is, they can lay any color of egg.

5. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I bought her from a farm supply store in late Feb. She has the tuffs and no beard. I also have some red stars that are a month younger and are spending time in the box too. Just trying to figure out who's laying what!

6. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Does she have a tail?

7. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    yes she has a tail.

8. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    She more than likely is a mixed breed then as araucanas are tailless; and could therefore lay a brown egg.

9. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Thanks.......I'll be kind of disappointed if she lays brown.........she's my only araucana......dang!

10. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Easter Egger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by