Do Australorps or Jersey Black Giants have sex-linked feather colors?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by partsRheavy, Oct 7, 2011.

1. partsRheavy

partsRheavy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    I'm raising a brood of Jersey Black Giant chicks that are 3 weeks old, and I also have some Australorp babies.

Some of my Jersey Black Giant chicks have a barred black-and-white pattern on their wings and back, whereas others are pretty much all black. The ones with the barred pattern are among my suspected little roos, because their combs are a bit on the large side.

So, I was wondering if there are sex-linked feather color patterns in these breeds that make it easy to tell the roos from the pullets, or is the pattern just a random thing?

Sorry I don't have a pic right now - I misplaced the camera upload gadget.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=512-Jersey_Giants

A
    sex link involves breeding two different breeds in such a way as to produce chicks easily distinguishable as to male or female, by color, when hatched. The males inherit one color while the females inherit a different color altogether.

Neither a purebred 'Lorp nor a purebred JG is a sex link. That said, those familiar with these breeds do look for development that betrays their sex. Comb size, wattles, legs, and later, feathers.

3. partsRheavy

Jul 28, 2011
    Thanks! They are hatchery chicks, so the variation in feather color is probably just a random thing.

Right now, they're at the "awkward chick" stage where they have some feathers but still some fuzz.

That six-month-old roo in the pic is a cutie!

4. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    If you have barred chicks, then they are not Jersey Giants, they come in white, blue/splash, or black.

I'm guessing you got black sexlinks if some are barred and some are black. If you ordered JG chicks from a hatchery, they sent you the wrong breed. If you got them from a feed store, they where mislabled.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:x2

6. partsRheavy

Jul 28, 2011
    I hope it wasn't a mistake!! I guess we'll just have to see how they turn out....

7. dlbranton

dlbranton Just Hatched

Feb 6, 2011
    3191 CR 279, Baird Tx
    Let us know. I agree with donrae and farmerchef. I have purchased and also hatched black giants. I've never seen barring on any of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by