Do bantam breeds lay earlier than standard size chickens?

Mine are getting pretty gosh darn old and haven't laid any eggs yet. I'd have to say that they are nearing six months, although I cannot be entirely sure. They may only be at the five month mark, but in any case, it doesn't seem to be that they are all that quick.

9826_chicken-relationships-titlebar.jpg
I got my bantams (ornamental) in late 2007. I got two hens and one rooster and seven little chicks from a lady trying to reduce her flock. The hens didn't lay an egg until they felt secure and had time to get to know their new home. But after they relaxed and had established a routine and after the little chicks grew enough to be independent, four of the hens began laying an egg a day. If they got frightened by something, even grandchildren chasing them, they would stop laying for weeks.

Last edited:
my bantys i got from ideal in feb have yet to start laying but my rir and broiler hens just started laying (only reason broilers arent butchered is becouse i thought they where bos and my mom wont let us get them butchered becouse our chickens are pets lol)
my silkies i got in winter arent laying yet either but i got extremely unlucky 10/10 roos

Back
Top Bottom