Do bantam roos crow quieter than the big ones?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by baldie, Oct 29, 2008.

1. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Okay, I am just curious, I have a barred cochin bantam cockrel and 2 N.H. Red cockrels, all 3 cockadoodle although my barred cochin is just learning. He is a lot quieter than the other boys, my question is do you think he'll get louder with time and be a loud a the N.H.'s? Thanks, Chrissie

2. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    My bantams crow just as loud as the others. I think the loudest is a Large Sultan and a very large Polish Top Hat. If you are close by it will deafen you!!

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I have a little Mille Fleur D'Uccle - I can't hear him when I'm in the house and he's in the back yard.

(then again, we have trains going thru town and I dont 'hear them either - unless I'm waiting for that horn to blow)

4. baldie

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Thanks, I wasn't sure. I thought maybe because he's so much smaller that he wouldn't crow as loud. It doesn't bother me any. I think it's cute. I make up what I assume they are yelling about. Like in the morning it is Let-Me-Out, then around 2:30, it sounds like Give-Me-A-Treat, and at dusk, it sounds like Okay-Everyone-In. I tell everyone thats what they are saying. They just don't understand rooster language!!LOL!!!

5. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I had silkies that would scream-crow. It was louder than heck. I ended up keeping the lowest crower and got rid of the others that where loud

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:Mine says:

Heck I feel GREAT right now. (he says that alot)

HEY look at me - aren't I pretty?

Gosh its a great day

I'm so HANDSOME

Etc...

7. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    My aunt had a bantam rooster and his crow wasn't as loud as some I've heard but it was very...um, squeaky?

8. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    the bantam roo we had was loud, squeaky, and constant! oh my.

It would hurt your ears!

9. baldie

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Quote:Mine says:

Heck I feel GREAT right now. (he says that alot)

HEY look at me - aren't I pretty?

Gosh its a great day

I'm so HANDSOME

Etc...

Don't forget about HEY-THATS-MY-GIRL
    or HANDS-OFF-HER

10. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

The higher pitch of my banty makes his crow seem to carry farther and my regular roo, but then the banty is two months older so maybe just he's had more practice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by