Do Bantam Roosters Crow First??????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ClareScifi, Dec 4, 2011.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    I heard the oddest noise this morning. I thought I was hearing things....

My Little Boy was crowing, and what a beautiful cock-a-doode-doo he has!

I can't believe it! I read that most roosters don't crow until they are 3 or 4 months old!!
    He's not even 10 weeks. None of his Leghorn brothers are crowing yet, and they
    are much larger in size.

What a fun little boy this chick is! I dread my SO finding out he's crowing
    already. My So hates the sound of a rooster crowing.

Well, I guess there's no doubt he's a boy, now! LOL!!!

And he didn't even need to practice his crowing. It came out perfect the first
    time! What a lovely Christmas present!! There's nothing sweeter than the sound
    of a rooster crowing!!!

People in another thread suspect his Mama was a Buff Orpington and his Papa a
    Silver-Laced Sebright Bantam. They tell me the genetic dominant color of
    Orpingtons is chocolate and when crossed with the black of a Silver-Laced
    Sebright, the result is Khaki coloration, which appears to be blue.

Do Bantam roosters tend to crow before other types of roosters???? Is early
    crowing a bad sign of a disease or problem?

2. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    I just read that motherless roosters crow later than other roosters because they are afraid of the older chickens. Maybe that's why my Boy is crowing so young? He doesn't have to worry about other chickens harassing him for crowing?

3. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    My Boy is motherless. I am his only "mother." I have fake crowed for him a few times. He is a quick learner! LOL.

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I had a little bantam cockerel start crowing at four weeks, and he was already trying to court the hens.

5. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Interesting, Elmo! What kind of Bantie was he?

I am reading a lot of posts in the various threads about early-crowing Banties! I suspect my Boy is half Bantie, and that is why he is crowing early!

6. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    You don't think early crowing could be a sign of some sort of hormone abnormality; do you? I sure hope not. I hope his hormones aren't all messed up?

Do you suppose he could be crowing early due to the access he has in my solarium to all sorts of yummy greens? He's mowed the malabar spinach, artichokes, and chives down to the ground! Maybe it's the super good nutrition he's getting????

7. downeastthunderfarm

downeastthunderfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Maine
    My two banty roosters crowed well before my barred rock rooster at around 10 weeks. I think it was the commotion from the banty coop that finally got our big rooster to bother with the effort. The barred rock was over 4 months before he piped up.

8. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Interesting, DownEastThunderFarm!

Do you think my boy looks like he could be part Banty?:

[​IMG]

9. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    By the looks of those feet he is anything but a bantam. He looks to me like (from that photo) he is more bird of prey as he eyes which part of your face he is going to start feeding on. [​IMG]

I've had OEG bantams start as young as 4 weeks.

10. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Interesting! My SO has commented on how he looks like he has a Raptor's Beak! And he does like to peck/pinch my hand. Do you suppose he could be half pheasant or half golden eagle??? Surely not! But he does have that Bird of Prey look, all right! Thank you for your fascinating comment!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by