1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

do bantams hatch before regular sized chickens?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by eggmanfromafghanistan, Apr 15, 2011.

1. eggmanfromafghanistan

eggmanfromafghanistan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    sheffield
    any help is appreciated

2. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    nope

3. juliette2009

juliette2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Wadmalaw Island, SC
    Don't think so...

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Yes, they may hatch a day or so earlier. This has been my experience anyway.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    No. Mine don't.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Smaller eggs of the same breed tend to hatch a little earlier than larger eggs of the same breed. That I am convinced of. I do not know if bantam eggs tend to hatch earlier than regular eggs. I have no experience with bantam chickens.

What I mean by tend to hatch earlier is that if you have a lot of eggs, you'll notice a difference. But if you only look at a very few eggs, it does not always work. For averages to mean anything, you have to have enough samples.

7. Timmy

Timmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    texas
    I believe seramas and red jungle fowl are closer to 18 days than 21.

8. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

On my first 2 hatches that had Bantams they hatched first ~ this time my FBCM, EE and Ameraucana have all started hatching, but no Bantam Cochins yet. They started hatching overnight last night, but aren't actually due until tomorrow.

9. Delighted

Delighted Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2010
    Atlanta
    I ususally set both Bantam and regular sized eggs in each of my hatchings. The bantams always hatch first--usually the day after lockdown. This time I have only bantam eggs, so i am making lockdown day a day earlier.

10. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    I think every time I've read of bantam hatching eggs hatching in less than 21 days it involved an incubator. Since I almost exclusively let my hens do the work my hatch days are always right at 21. I have had a couple pip early but not hatch until they were due.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by