Do bantams hatch earlier than standards? Take babies after hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jossanne, Mar 29, 2009.

1. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    So... I've read a few posts where people's bantam eggs have hatched earlier than 21 days. I'm wondering how common this is. I've got a broody on 12 silkie eggs, and today's day 18. How possible is it that we'll have babies on day 19 or 20?

Also, our chickens free range, and if we leave the chicks with the mama after they hatch, they'll be out and about with the rest of the flock. These are silkie eggs that I've bought, and, obviously, I really want the chicks. We've also got 7 outside cats who hunt. How good are mama hens at protecting free range chicks from cats? I'm thinking I need to take the babies away and brood them in the house because of the cats. Any input on that?

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    if that was me for chicks safety i'd either lock mama and babies up once hatched, or take the chicks from her to be safe.

Mine hatched early, however some did take a full 21 days [​IMG]

3. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

My bantams have always started pipping on day 19. As a matter of fact, day 20 just began for some Silkie eggs in my incubator, and I've got one hatched and 3 others pipped already.

I would definitely take the chicks from the hen considering what breed they are. Silkie chicks are teeny tiny to begin with and probably wouldn't be able to keep up with mom anyways...easy pickings for predators.

4. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    I have had both - some hatch around 19 to 20 days and some took the whole 21 days. I think it all depends on your temp, but not really sure.

Also, I would not let the chicks free range with the hen, the hen will not fight in the mist of danger, she will run for protection and live the chicks on their own.

5. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    K, I'll bring them in for sure, on everyone's advice. I've got one brooder in here with 9 Cornish X's, and another with 11 welsummers and EE's, all will be 2 weeks old tomorrow. I'll guess I'll have a 3rd brooder until the meaties are better-feathered (hopefully that won't take too long!) and can move out to their outside digs.

Keep your fingers crossed for me that I get a good hatch rate. I candled 5 of the eggs on day 6, because I just couldn't wait any longer. Four out of five had obvious veins and little swimming black spots. I left the 5th one under there, because I just wasn't sure and I didn't want to chance tossing a viable egg. It was my first time candling, and my flashlight was dying. Pretty marvelous for shipped eggs that arrived while I was out of town and my clueless friend unpacked and slipped them under my broody...

Can't wait for babies now. They'll be my first silkies, and I've been drooling over them for a long time! I'll post pics as soon as they arrive.

6. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    My seramas are always hatched out by day 19, they never go to day 20 or 21.............

7. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    No pips yet today, day 19. Mama is sitting tight. Can't wait!!! [​IMG]

8. countrybum

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    Mine are not banties, but I had 4 pipping last night and one hatched today (a little black and white chick), waiting on the others. They are not actually do until the 31st, so the warmth in the bathroom (while waiting for the rest of them) must have some how incubated them a little.

9. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Come on little chickies!

I awoke this morning to all of my Silkies being hatched...day 20! [​IMG]

10. countrybum

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    Go silkies go. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by