Do bantams take the same length of time to hatch as standard chickens?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bookworm chick, May 19, 2011.

1. Bookworm chick

Bookworm chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    I put a regular size egg in with the bantam eggs for hatching. I got the bantam eggs shipped so wanted the broody to have something to raise in case the shipped eggs did not hatch. Just wondered if the incubation period was the same.
    Another question . . . . if none of them hatch, will she stay broody?[​IMG]

2. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Yes, 21 days for all chicken eggs, Bantam or not. [​IMG]

All hens are different, some will stay broody until somthing hatches, others will not.

Wishing you luck!

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  3. Bookworm chick

Bookworm chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    Now I have another question. I set the eggs under the broodies yesterday afternoon. This morning I go out and one of the hens is in with one of the broodies laying her egg. Should I mark and leave this egg with the rest (marked) or will it hatch too late? I didn't know if 18 hours would be too much of a time span for a last chick to hatch. I can see that I'm going to have to check this broody's nest daily since this hen seems to chosen it for her new favorite. It's not like there's a shortage of nests, there's plenty of empty ones. Guess she knew there were eggs in there and figured it was the place to go. Dang hens never make it easy for us, do they.[​IMG]

4. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    18 hours isn't to much of a difference, so it's up to you. I personaly would take it

away. You may want to move the broody into an erea where no other birds can

get to her and lay eggs in her nest. It's no fun to have chicks hatching and others

that are still incubating, because once the chicks are a couple days old, mom will

leave the remaining eggs and go explore with her chicks.

Good luck! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by