1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do Bantams usually hatch early?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KandiandJerry, Oct 16, 2011.

1. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

I have some oeg bantam eggs due to hatch on Friday....I have heard that alot of times they hatch on day 19...is this true? If so when should I go into lockdown...I have been thinking about not going in until the first one pips...is this a good idea or not....all help and comments are appreciated...and Thanks...

2. kerrysmommy

kerrysmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    My house :]
    this is true and i suggest dont go into lock down intill the 1st internal pip. but get the humid up to hatching day and dont open the lid to the incubator

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Isn't today your lockdown day? I would candle them and go ahead and lock them babies down
    Michele

4. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    All my bantams have hatched on day 19

5. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I wouldn't go into lockdown until the first egg pips, bantams often hatch early because since the egg is smaller, it heats up faster then a standard size egg.

6. KandiandJerry

I am afraid to lockdown early and raise the humidity for fear of the egg not losing enough moisture and them drowning....what are your thoughts on this?

7. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    My bad, I miss read your post I thought you said they are due to hatch on the 19th. No I won't lock down yet. I would wait just like everyone else has said.
    Michele

8. KandiandJerry

thats what is confusing everyone says they hatch on day 19 which would be wednesday for day 19

9. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I had quail that hatch early, they started pipping on lock down day. I just added warm water to the incubator when I removed the turner. They shouldn't hatch before your lock down day. They just might start pipping on that day. Just take a deep breathe all will be okay.
    Michele

10. KandiandJerry

thanks for all the info we will wait for pip. do I wait for internal pip or external pip?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by