1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do bantum barred rocks have feathered legs??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by newnanchic, Mar 12, 2009.

1. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    I did a swap on here and I was supposed to get batumn show barred rocks. Well they have hatched and they look just like my black silkies. THey are solid black, black skin and feathered legs . So Is that what a barred rock looks like or do I have silkies ?? I would post pics but htey are still in the hatcher drying off.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, they should not have any feathers on the legs. Could be a hidden gene causing feather stubs or they could be a mix. They really do not sound like BRs at all. Is there a white spot on their heads?

3. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    That is not what bantam BRs look like. Count the toes. They might not be silkies either. BRs have white headspots, clean yellow legs with black wash, and white butts.

4. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

Nope they shouldn't have feathered leggs... Could they be barred cochins???

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Now, that's a thought. Perhaps they're bantam Cochins?

6. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    bantam barred rock = large rocks... just smaller..

7. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I have some barred rocks x silkies that look like bantam barred rocks but with feathered legs.

8. newnanchic

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    O.K. No white spots on there head. Only 4 toes !!! Feathered legs ..Black skin, black egs ?????

9. newnanchic

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    I went back thru the swap post and I got these from Aussie Sharon, I have sent her a pm to see what I could have . The post said pure bantum barred rock or pure bantum leghorn and had a pic of a beautiful white leghorn on the post. No white chicken so I am sure she will help me to identify these cuties.

10. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    I dont think they are black cochin either. They should be black with yellow points and yellow skin. Hmmmm what a mystery!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by