Do Barred Rocks grow slower then other breeds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Donnigan, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Donnigan

Donnigan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2016
    I have 8 chicks that are 8-9 weeks. One is a Australorp, 4 are Production Reds and 3 are Barred Rocks. They were all the same size when i got them but the Australorp and PRs passed the Barred Rocks up and are about twice the size. Everyone seems happy and healthy. This picture is from about 2 weeks ago and everyone has gotton bigger but the Barred Rocks are still about half the size. [​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Where did you get them? There are bantam barred rocks.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't know what the issue is, but that's not normal. Rocks are the same as those other breeds, development-wise.

I had a batch of Faverolles this spring that were just runty, and not hardy. Started with 9, I'm down to 1. She's 4 months old but looks more like 2 1/2. maybe you just got a bummer batch?

4. Donnigan

Apr 30, 2016

The very same thing happened to me with purple Marans. I went to some lady to get some BCMs and saw these purple grayish chickens. They were so pretty! Especially the rooster. A couple weeks later i went back to get some. Within weeks i started finding them just laying dead in the mud! Within a couple months i only had one and she is still alive. She never has layed more than a couple eggs. She's about 5 now and has this growth on her chest. It doesn't seem to bother her so i haven't worried very much. Before they died they never showed any signs of sickness i would just find them dead. I should have called the lady i got them from. All i can guess is they have some sort of genetic issue. Every chicken i got from her has had some sort of problem. I haven't gotten a Maran egg in a years! 2 have aggression issues, 1 had respiratory issues, then the purple one has that growth and then i have a mixed one that is healthy but hasn't layed an egg since last spring. I thought it was something about Marans but everyone else that has Marans seems to like them so i think it was something about the breeder!

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I'm thinking that they are bantams. Does the hatchery have bantam Barred Rocks? If they do, maybe it's a shipping error. We got bantam Brahmas one year instead of standards, and the hatchery then sent the standards we had ordered. Mary

6. Donnigan

Apr 30, 2016

I got them from Rural King.

7. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Rural King got them from a hatchery, though. If you call, they should be able to tell you which one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by