Do BC Marans have larger combs then other breeds?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Caddy-Corner-Chick, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Caddy-Corner-Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    Well I think I might have 2 roo's and 2 pullets. They are roughly around 3 weeks old now and I am noticing a larger comb on one of my BC marans and my blue so if the blue ends up a roo , it will have to go.. I will post some pictures up tomorrow ...

Just looking at them I am thinking 2 pullets 2 roos... maybe 3 weeks is still too early to tell.

2. Sparklee

Sparklee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Some end up being meatier and thicker than some other breeds' combs, which I believe was mentioned at a recent poultry show. The BC Marans combs are supposed to be a little smaller than usual because of the Langshan influence.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:x2 - Agreed. They're very easy to sex at an earlier age because of their well put together combs, but the combs should not actually be LARGE in size when they mature.

4. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Caddy-Corner-Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    Quote:x2 - Agreed. They're very easy to sex at an earlier age because of their well put together combs, but the combs should not actually be LARGE in size when they mature.

Illia, when I had originally posted up a picture of the one that was suppose to be a roo in the beginning you told me he may not be one, and I think your right!! It is still the biggest of all the chicks, the thickest legs, tallest in height but something about Ugg screams Pullet.. Once my 2nd cup of coffee is gone, I will get some pictures. Out of my chicks they hate me the most [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by