do big red veins mean its still alive?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sweeterdeeter42, May 6, 2011.

1. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    We are going into day 23 and there are no pips. I candled to see what was going on. There are still big red veins, and I am not sure, but I think I may have seen some movement. It is hard to tell sometimes if it is just the flashlight shadow or actual movement. Should I still hold out hope that it will hatch? I heard peeping, but it may have been from the two that are due Sunday.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

WOW!!! What are your temps and are you sure the thermometer is reading right? At this stage you should see black blobs not veins. But yes veins means they are maturing.

3. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I had this same question a few weeks ago- I had eggs under a broody hen that she left and they got cold, I was so sure they were dead but I was still seeing veins. I tried to artificially warm them and let them go two days overdue- still saw veins when candling but thought sure they had to be dead. I opened them, they were NOT dead. I hadn't seen movement or else I would have just waiting to see. Best of luck!

4. sweeterdeeter42

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    I can see the outline of the chick and it is large and takes up 2/3 of the egg, and there are red veins around it. The other egg has piped into the aircell. Both were set on the same day. My temp is 99.5.

I didnt write down the exact day and time I set them because Im a stupid, so I could be off 1 day. I "think" I set them around 11 pm on April 14th............. Could have been around 11 on the 15th though. Something in the back of my mind is telling me I didnt really set them until the day after I think I set them. But I am not sure. I am writing everything down from now on!!!!

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  5. debilorrah

Quote:Are you CERTAIN the thermometer is accurae?

6. debilorrah

Quote:[​IMG] Making mistakes with hatches is human, don't beat yourself up, but learn from your mistakes. We all did it at one time or another.

7. sweeterdeeter42

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    Last weeks hatch had one pip a day early and the others on time (staggered hatches.) It is accurate as far as I am able to tell. Had two in there and they were different brands and read the same.

8. debilorrah

Ohhhhh knowing this is a staggered hatch makes a difference. It sounds to me as if were on day 17ish....

9. sweeterdeeter42

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:Even if I set these specific eggs that I am waiting for on the 14th or 15th of April?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by