Do Black East Indies go broody?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Black Feather, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Well, I guess the topic heading pretty much says it all: Do Black East Indies go broody?

I have a trio of them and one duck is making a nest and I was just wondering if I should leave the eggs in hopes that she will brood and hatch them, or put them in the incubator? She sort of seems to be getting a bit broody as is, but I don't know what this breeds tendencies are.

Thanks!
    Urban Coyote

2. Tn Gamebirds

Tn Gamebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine do. They are good little setters

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Mine do as well.

4. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Great! I really hope she will end up being a good mom. I think chicken chicks are adorable....but ducklings take cute to a whole new level! I have one East Indie egg in the incubator that is developing and am really really hoping will hatch!

UC

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Both of mine have gone broody.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  6. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    A lot depends on the line, East Indies, are generally bred for their color not for their egg production. If you are pushing for egg production the tendency to go broody is something to be discouraged. If you have an incubater you can hedge your bets and incubate the eggs that have been in the nest a while until she shows signs of going broody (tearing out feathers and down using them to line the nest). If you want her to raise her own leave a larger number in the nest. If your aim is to max offsprings leave only a couple so she doesn't give up and hide her new nest. ~gd

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by