Do blackberries affect egg taste?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by honeybunny, Sep 21, 2012.

1. honeybunny

honeybunny Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2012
    I noticed today a few of my hens were going crazy with blackberries, having found a nice patch of them. Later that resulted in black-ish but otherwise normal poo.

How will this affect the egg's taste, if at all?

2. The egg *might* taste sweeter, butI doubt it. The blackish poop can be from a number of things, but it could just be some undigested blackberry

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My birds eat tons of blackberries. No change in eggs. In fact, I've never noticed a difference depending on what they eat. I offer onions and garlic, they don't eat it. I offer fish, they scarf it and lay eggs that are just the same as the day before's. I offer so many tomatoes and peppers the eggs should be pre-salsa'd, they're just eggs.

4. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Now that was funny!. I have a large growth of blackberry bushes, about 100' long, and the chickens climb into them to get the berries. The poo does end up being darker, but no flavor change in eggs.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Thank you, we joke about salsa eggs, berry eggs, zucchini eggs, pear eggs, applesauce eggs, cannibal eggs..........to me they're all the same. Maybe I just have an unrefined sense of taste?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by