Do Blood Rings Change appearance?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KV Silkies, Jan 28, 2014.

1. KV Silkies

KV Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2013
    Southern Wisconsin
    Hi, I am first time incubator, have one sad little egg developing, however have another I thought had a blood ring, darker vein, wasn't in complete circle, but running through out egg and looked similar to blood ring pics I've seen on here. this was early on, perhaps day 6 or so I saw the ring at first. It is day 14 today. I took a peek last night quick when I was adding water to the incubator and the blood ring egg is getting darker inside..... i want to be hopeful that it might be a chick, but I have never seen movement, or seen anything that resembles an eye or dark spot at all... but the fact that it's changing inside makes me think maybe a chick, or maybe it's just rotting and is going to explode? I am worried to have it explode in there and damage my one little good egg. I have several non developing eggs between them at this point, just in case, but just wondering if anyone has heard of a blood ring egg changing inside to appear darker (can't see vein as much). I'm pretty sure i'm darned if I do, darned if I don't.... [​IMG]

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    If you don't see healthy veining and a chick inside it's dead. Remove it before it explodes so you don't kill the other one.

3. KV Silkies

Oct 1, 2013
    Southern Wisconsin
    I will try and take a pic during lunch to post.... I do see veining, but not sure it's healthy, have you heard of them changing appearance tho to look darker in the egg? as when it started it had the one dark vein, and a few other really light veins, it's now getting dark in there though, so if this is something unusual I am hesitant to remove it in case it is a chick. thank you for the info!!

4. KV Silkies

Oct 1, 2013
    Southern Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    yeah, these are clear as mud....... in the top one you can see the line starting from the middle bottom of the egg, in the bottom pic the line is running closer to the top, it is just thicker and darker now and more blurred.... sorry these pics are awful. [​IMG]

5. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Well I can't tell much here. If you truly don't know on the egg you could just separate it. Make sure however you do that you make that if it pops you don't have to worry for the safety of the other egg.

6. KV Silkies

Oct 1, 2013
    Southern Wisconsin
    thank you, is there a good way to separate them? I have it at the other end of the incubator right now and opposite corner, but should I put a paper towel around it lightly or something? or will that probably effect my humidity too much for that egg? ugh, this egg hatching isn't for sissies! lol [​IMG]

7. SilverDuck284

SilverDuck284 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    South Carolina
    Unfortunately, there is nothing growing in that egg. After 14 days, there should be a dark mass moving around and a lot of veins. Anything you see "growing" at this point is just bacteria. You should remove it before it contaminants the healthy egg.

8. KV Silkies

Oct 1, 2013
    Southern Wisconsin
    thank you for the info on the blood ring! I did finally bite the bullet and take it out last night, cracked it open and yep, blood ring.... [​IMG] got one lone little egg still going, looking good, weight is going good, I lockdown on saturday, soooo hoping the little bugger makes it...[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by