do blue ameraucanas lay blue eggs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by EricH, Sep 11, 2010.

1. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Since you are still getting them from a hatchery, then, yeah, you can still have a good possibility of them being green-blue, khaki green, or just plain green. MPC usually gets their "new" stock from Gabbard Farms, but Gabbard Farms is just another hatchery who advertises as a quality breeder.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    If they are from a hatchery, they are Easter Eggers, which means that SOMEWHERE in their ancestry was a bird with a blue egg gene. If you want real ameraucanas (or araucanas for that matter) you need to purchase from a breeder, and then yes, they will lay blue eggs (assuming that the bird is a hen [​IMG] )

4. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    well do you guys know any "breeder" that sells hatching eggs for blue ameraucanas?

5. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Quote:Ehh not so sure one can use that blanket statement here. I have not got Blue Ameraucana from MPC so I do not know for sure.. What differentiates them is the in fact sell Easter Eggers as Easter Eggers not as mis spelled Ameraucana!!!
    So I personally give them some benefit of the doubt here. Also I have noticed the Blue Ameraucana they offer are very limited in number available which also could be an indicator they are true.

I would call them and ask! Ask for egg pics.. Getting a blue egg is hit or miss even with top private breeders, many Ameraucana have a hint of green in the egg.

The only thing I have ordered from MPC is EE's some lay an almost blue egg, some green, some off white, some light brown. My Ameraucana are from a breeder Paul Smith..

Hope this helps!
    ON

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by