1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do Bobwhites roost like chickens?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by kodibearsdad, Feb 27, 2013.

1. kodibearsdad

kodibearsdad New Egg

Feb 27, 2013
    Recently rescued 2 bobwhites from a dog breeder and am planning on building a coop and run for them but would like to know if quail roost like chickens in the evenings?

2. red golden

red golden Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2012
    roxboro nc
    Welcome to byc. Quail normaly roost with their butts together in a circle so they can scatter from a predator. Thats in the wild. You have some quail even in the wild that will roost in a tree. Most just roost on the ground.

3. kodibearsdad

kodibearsdad New Egg

Feb 27, 2013
    So I take it that they do not go back to their coop in the evening like chickens. I live in the woods with lots of raccoons and worry about their safety if I can close them up in a coop every evening.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    No, quail rarely go back to their shelter at night and would rather sleep outside. You will have to run them back in if you want them under shelter. Remember, you can not free range quail. They will need to be confined in a run or aviary if not kept in a pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by