Do bobwhites tame down?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by earlybird10, Dec 12, 2010.

1. earlybird10

earlybird10 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2010
    Johnson City, TN
    Hey everyone! I was curious if bobwhites tame down or they just as scared all the time like buttons. I'm on the fence on getting two females to keep as pets. Cortunix are very hard to find around here unless you want to drive far! Thanks everyone!

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Do you ever make it to north-central Arkansas? Come get some Coturnix. They are soooo mellow!

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Define Tame Down?
    Do You Love And Hug And Pet, Take Long Showers Togather, Sleep At The Foot Of The Bed? ..... No!
    Do You Mean Take Food From Your Hands And Tolerate You In The Cage? Maybe

There Are A Number Of Stories About That Depict Bobs As Pets, They Are Very Rare And Usually Happen When A Solitary Chick Has Hatched And Been Handle All The Time Since Day1.

In Most Cases Bobs Will Be Very Similar To Buttons In Their Spaz Fits And Jumpiness With The Pyhsical Appearance And Size Being The Biggest Difference... Oh Yeah, They Bite To! Like A Feathered Snapping Turtle [​IMG]

4. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    My bobs are not very tame, but on the bright side my coturnix are.

5. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    I do not make pets of non of my birds, but coturnix are "tame" coming to my hand when fed, even more aggresive ones pecking and even attacking my hand.

My bob butlers are suprisingly "tame" they come to my hand without fear when fed, but they are not aggresive.

Chukars are wild and when I approach their cage they screech, panic and go nuts before I even open their cage.

All those birds I am talking above were hatched and raised by me.

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:I have one Bob hen who is surprisingly tame she suffered from pasty butt and after I cleaned her up she tamed downed barely she touches me bumps against me when I feed them the rest are still spazy

my corts are either really tame or just meaner then snot .

my chukars ARE just like pascopal says except for one that was almost hand raised she is a hoot she has a lot of personality she just stared laying

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by