Do both genders chest bump/spar?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kaylee gee, Nov 14, 2012.

1. kaylee gee

kaylee gee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2012
    Lehigh Acres, FL
    My 7 RIR chicks are about 3-4 weeks old (I think) and they are a very lively bunch! They run at each other, stand up very tall, get chest-to-chest and stare for a second then back off again. They fly around the pen they are in too.

What I want to know is, do only cockerels spar like that? Or do pullets too? There is one chick i am almost positive is a roo (he is bigger than the rest, has darker coloring on his head/neck, and just seems all-around masculine. What about the others? Do I have a pen full of roos??

[EDIT]
    Thanks for the answers y'all! I am going to put up a pic of each of their heads so y'all can see the combs. Can you tell this young by looking at their combs what their gender is?? Also, do the feathers over their ears show you anything? I notice they are either light or dark red. The lighting is not very good, as i had to hold them up to a window curtain to get my camera to focus on them and not the background, and i didnt want to use the flash on their little eyes.

Chick 1
    [​IMG]

Chick 2
    [​IMG]

Chick 3
    [​IMG]

Chick 4 (You can see why i think this one is a roo!)
    [​IMG]

Chick 5
    [​IMG]

Chick 6
    [​IMG]

Chick 7
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    both genders do this all though live, just when older most the time (but not always) its the males

3. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    Oh, no... little girls will do it too! I have some really great photos and video of all of my young, gangly chicks challenging each other, and only two of them were boys. One little chick challenged a full grown hen when she was just a peep! The look on the hen's face was priceless as this little chipmunk-striped chick ran up to her, chest-bumped her (best a tiny chick can on a grown hen), then did the dance trying to intimidate her. Big Red just walked away like "Yeah, ok... I'll leave you to that."

4. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    Oh ya! girls do it too!!! When I first got chickens it worried me a little that I may have roosters [​IMG]

5. kaylee gee

Jul 5, 2012
    Lehigh Acres, FL
    lol that is so funny! i can imagine these doing that to my hens! haha! [​IMG]

6. jbarrett

jbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Florida
    4,5,7 have a larger comb than all the others but im newer so I believe 4 is a rooster for sure!

7. kaylee gee

Jul 5, 2012
    Lehigh Acres, FL
    Yes those are the ones i think may be roos too, but 4 for sure!

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    4 and 7 look like they will be cockerels. 5 maybe

9. kaylee gee

Jul 5, 2012
    Lehigh Acres, FL
    okay! i think so too, so hopefully we will only have to rehome/eat 2 roos lol
    we are getting 5 more chicks tomorrow or so, that were hatched in the same batch as these guys, so ill add their pics once i have them.

10. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    [​IMG]
    It's not real obvious from the photo what's going on, but that's little fluffy Chipmunk trying to challenge Big Red.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by