do boys grow faster than girls

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sueche, Mar 4, 2011.

1. sueche

sueche Chirping

Feb 17, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    I got 4 straight run chicks and 1 seems to be growing faster than the others. Can that indicate he is a roo?

2. ive noticed that they do grow a little faster but roos that ive had developed(dark pink or reddish) combs faster and they get darker earlier

3. gmendoza

gmendoza Songster

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    On the contrary,Ive noticed hens feather out faster than roos.Sure sign is when the crow.

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Had a friend figure she had them sexed and guess what? They're all girls.

Just as they have a pecking order, the bossier chicks gets to eat more and that may explain the growth difference.

My experience tells me roos will get a redder comb sooner. Pullets don't usually redden up until just before they are going to lay.

BTW, pic are always helpful and appreciated.

Rancher

5. imusa76

imusa76 Chirping

Jun 16, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Quote:I had 2 Favoralle that looked just like the Pullets, no red or even pink comb, no pointy neck feathers.. or anything else to indicate ROOSTER, untill we woke up tp 2 roosters crowing @ the sametime... I guess they only know what they are.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Lets have some breeds please.

I was talking of Delawares.

7. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Songster

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    My experience is that while pullets feather up faster, roos weigh more. When I have chicks I weigh them every week to see how they're progressing. If they're all the same breed, I expect the roos to weigh about 25% more. The heavy ones aren't always the biggest looking ones either...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: